Sunday, October 21, 2012

New Artwork

Introduction
I have to say that progress has been super slow. But I totally have a legit reason and that is because of MIDTERMS. I finally have some time to breathe to get this posted and then go back to studying. So there's not much to expect in this post. Still, I did make some important changes so I need to make an update post before I confuse myself.

Plot
Hahahah! What plot? Just kidding. Thank goodness for these update posts. I still have last times ideas all pretty and posted on my blog. That's wonderful! Mainly because I forgot all about the student council that is supposed to be the main antagonist of the story. I made no progress in the plot so far. The farthest I've gotten is the first choice scene where the player gets to choose what to do with Mio. It's like the first step of wooing the guys kind of scene, except the player doesn't know where each guy is located.

Anyways, it's the "starting to get to know the guys" first step and that is all I have done on the plot side. The student council is still nonexistent at this point and I think they will remain nonexistent since I want to get character art done first.

Art
I changed my art style and it made everything better significantly. So I'm scrapping the old picture of Mio and using my new picture. So far, all of Mio's facial expressions are done. I'm too lazy to add anymore. Maybe I might, or maybe I won't. I made a ton, so I think it's best if I just stop there and move on.

Actually that's what I did. I was able to get Kale's art done. I only has his normal done. I'll work on the rest of his expressions next. However, I changed my art style again, so Mio might be the odd one out since I feel that the burn tool is much easier to use for shading instead of grabbing three different shades of a color and coloring places where the respective colors will most likely be and then going back and blurring it all together. I also want to say that the blur tool isn't very strong and hardly works in the program I'm using. So yes, burning and dodging forever.

I guess this game might end up being the test subject for my art styles or something.

Mio:

Kale:

Characters
I don't think I've added any new characters. However, Mio's personality developed because of how her picture turned out. So I'm adding more to Mio's personality.

I've also developed Kale's personality as I've drawn him, but it's not really supposed to be revealed without giving a ton of spoilers in the game... READ AT YOUR ON RISK? 8D? Not that I really expect many people reading though, but I do know these kinds of things bother people. XD

Mio: I said that her personality was kind of nonexistent as her different responses kind of give her all kinds of personalities, but I've managed to tone that down for the sake of consistency. Mio's personality is that of a serious, no-nonsense girl. She's somewhat blunt and a bit of a loner since she's not really the uselessly friendly type.

Despite her serious nature, she's actually really passive and is easy to push around--which is why Lydia became such good friends with her in middle school. Mio is easily swept into other people's flow. She is also easily startled.

I think her personality will just keep getting more and more detailed as I keep going with this game. As much as I wanted to keep her personality vague for the sake of the players, I can't really do that because her character art turned out more serious than I expected and because this is just a visual novel with many different endings for Mio. Besides, I think people prefer to have a character with a personality--as long as it isn't annoying. Although I don't know if people will like Mio much since she's kind of serious...

Kale: In general, he's gentlemanly and nice to everyone. He is very laid back and doesn't seem to stress out about anything. He has the strange ability to sneak up on people without them realizing it. Kale is calm and understanding, but he is very hard to read since he usually keeps the same smile on his face. Overall, he's a very sociable and friendly guy.

SPOILER SECTION. I strike it because it makes it harder to read. I'm awesome right?
Deep inside, he is fairly manipulative and quite the opportunist. He's like a predator. He's pretty good at sneaking around, and when he doesn't seem like he's listening, he actually is listening. He has a good memory and tries to stay informed about everything, mainly for blackmail purposes. He's a bit of a sadist since he enjoys teasing people and if they give him the reaction he likes he will continue to keep teasing them.

When someone actually makes him mad, he is unforgiving and ruthless. He holds grudges and once someone has gotten on his wrong side, they will remain on that bad side unless they do him a great favor to earn his forgiveness. 

Kale plays the guitar and sings. He enjoys rock and heavy metal which is where his singing style comes from. He rarely performs in public mainly because it contradicts the kind of personality he has displayed before people. 

Yes, I think a lot when I'm drawing people. ; w; I'm writing this down so I could remember that I even came up with all this so I won't forget.

Conclusion:
So asides from some character developing, I hardly have any work done. I'll work on more later, but I have to pass my midterms first. Hopefully I'll get more work done soon! D8<

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying not to scroll up and look at the spoilers... I'm not doing well, BUT I'LL TRY MY HARDEST! >_< Why do I have NO will power?!

    Your character art looks awesome! I'm really excited to see the finished project! EEEEEP! You're really getting me into Otome games! I'm skint at the moment (blew all my money at my first con yesterday) but I'm trying to save up for a game or two, so anything you can recommend would be great!


    I failed... I just went back and read the spoiler section... Forgive me! orz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks for the comment, Lottie! <3333
      I wish I could have an 8th day of the week to work on my hobbies. D8< I never have time for character art.

      And I would probably do the same at a con if I were in your place too. 8DD Since I haven't played all of them--asides from the demos--my recommendations probably would be as good as my post when I was trying to pick one of the many games to buy. Although I will tell you that "lemmasoft.renai.us" has many people who are doing otome game projects and will probably offer many free otome games. Usually the best quality ones are the ones that are sold commercially. XD

      Oh and it's okay if you read the spoiler section. 8D I only mentioned that it would give spoilers since I do know that spoilers intensely bother some people and I wouldn't want to pop it in front of them without a warning. But truth be told, I'm just character developing since I don't want to be stuck making more stereotypical characters. ; w;

      Wahahah! But hoped you like the spoilers! I always feel like spoilers are like a secret bite of candy that was "supposed" to remain not bitten.>8D

      Delete
  2. Ehehe! I can't stand not knowing spoilers! Every time, I'm like: "I won't look! I WILL NOT LOOK!" and I cave. EVERY SINGLE TIME!

    I did get my job! Granted, I was the ONLY person who applied for it, but I like to think of that as a stroke of luck!

    I'm always happy to have you in my mep group, if you ever want to join (no experience needed) just leave me a note! It's always open to you! Of course, you're probably gonna use all your free time to create your OTOME GAME! KYAAA! I CAN'T WAIT!

    I hope your midterms went ok!

    Lvoe Lottie! <3

    ReplyDelete