Monday, June 13, 2011

CheckmateShipping

The ship that Randomosity Corner will present today is called CheckmateShipping! It's the pairing of Hilda (the heroine of the game that you can play as) and Cheren (Hilda's childhood friend and rival throughout the game). Cheren is the one who picks the pokemon that's stronger against the one that Hilda picks. Every time Hilda gets a gym badge, he'll challenge her to a battle. His aim is to become stronger, but he also helps out those in need and he often drags Hilda along to help out too. xD

This pairing seems to have been greatly overshadowed by the FerrisWheelPairing. For some odd reason, N gained more popularity than Cheren. I think it's Cheren's pants because the way they made Cheren's pants in the game was a little bit disturbing. =w=

Or maybe it just seems that people liked the way N seemed to take a more aggressive approach to Hilda since he's always coming up with reasons for her to go after him? Or maybe it's just the thrill of a protagonist x antagonist pairing. Who knows, but I think that CheckmateShipping needs more love! Love between childhood friends is pretty cute!

Okay, moving on... The name CheckmateShipping came from the chess theme that seemed to be going with Pokemon Black and White because in chess, the pieces used are only black and white. Cheren seems like he'd be pretty good at chess since he seems to be the one that uses strategy to win. However, Hilda keeps beating him with all their Pokemon battles. I think I saw in a website about the pairing that the name also came from the role a queen has in chess. Whether it applies to Hilda or not, I'm not quite sure what it means.

Now without anymore stalling, I'll post pictures of Checkmate Shipping! I do not own any of the pictures as usual and I just found them all on Google and deviant art. Oh! And if I do have any readers out there, you can try comparing the two pairings and which one you like better! xD For me, my heart always belongs with the pairings with the better artwork.












Waaahhh! I wish more artists will make more art for this ship! This ship needs more love! Cheren can be cool sometimes too! Waaahhh!! 

6 comments:

  1. I agree...

    Checkmateshipping is adorable! <3

    It really needs some more love all right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this shipping really could use some more love....:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable n///n
    I adore this ship too and it is true it needs more love. Thanks for the lovely pictures and post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes! I agree so much! I love this shipping and I actually might do an update of this shipping if I can get more pictures and try not to confuse the already posted pictures with the not posted pictures. XD

    Awww! And thanks for the comments! So very sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm, well when I thought of checkmate shipping, I always pictured it like this

    both cheren and hilda want to be champion. lets say their rivalry for winning the championship is like a chess game. lets also say that Hilda is the queen in her set of pieces, and Cheren is a pawn, so she's got this huge advantage over him.

    but then Hilda falls in love with him.

    that would be like checkmate, no? He won the game, by stealing her heart. I don't really see Hilda still attempting to get the championship if she's in love with the guy she has to go against. and also, her feelings would get in the way of her thinking straight.

    this is sort of why i love the name of this shipping xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your input Anonymous! It gives much food for thought and it seems like a nice explanation for the name. I'm not actually sure how they get the names, but I try to find sources on the internet. If that doesn't help, I try to interpret it. <3 It's always great to hear what other people think! I'll keep what you said in mind! <3

    ReplyDelete